Basic information on social media and accessibility.
- Use plain language
- Don't use all-caps
- Include descriptive text before links (example: "Read the help page for more info: [LINK]"
- Use camel case for hashtags (example: #WebAccessibility)
- Avoid images of text
- Add alt text to all images
- Use static images instead of animated GIFs
- Make sure images have strong color contrast
- Add captions and transcripts
- Review any auto-generated text
- Use words instead of emojis to describe things
- Do not overuse emojis
- Add emojis at the end of messages
Remember that it is easier to read and for assistive technolgy to pronounce if hashtags are written in #CamelCaseLetters. Each unique word in a hashtag should start with a capital letter.
Common accessibility-related hashtags: